Principal Investigator, AHRC Digital Fashion Network Project
I am a research academic with focus on digital fashion innovation, smart textiles and material sustainability. I am currenlty implementing the AHRC Project "Digital Fashion Network" as the Principal Investigator.
Academic and professional qualifications
I am a fellow of the Textile institute [CText FTI ] and the Higher Education Academy, UK. I am also a CSC (Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the UK) alumnus and a DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst) fellow.
I obtained my PhD in Fashion Technology from the University of Manchester in 2012. I gained my MSc. in Textile and Clothing Engineering (2004) from the Dresden University of Technology in Germany. My first degree, gained in 1999, was in Textiles from the University of Dhaka in Bangladesh.
My present role at the Manchester Fashion Institute (MFI) includes teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate courses, supervising and mark UG and PG research projects including PhD projects, reviewing Research Ethics Applications, providing research ethics training to staff and students, and contributing towards the activities of the Faculty Research Ethics & Governance Committee. I conduct independent and joint research works, contribute to the RKE (research and knowledge exchange) projects with industry partners, and mentor MFI academic staff.
Before joining MMU, I worked as an Associate Professor in the textile department and as the Head of the Centre of Scientific Research and Innovation (CSRI) of the Southeast University Bangladesh. I led the textile department of the World University of Bangladesh from October 2012 to February 2014. I also worked as an Assistant Professor in the textile department of the Ahsanullah University of Science & Technology from 2006 to 2012.
Alongside my postgraduate research at the Manchester University, I worked as a graduate teaching assistant at its School of Materials. I also have more than three years of direct work experience in the clothing industry; I undertook product development, merchandising and sourcing roles in Bangladesh for European fashion retailers. As leader of a merchandising team, I was responsible for multi-million dollar international clothing contracts and also for production and shipping co-ordination, as a part of buying and sourcing on behalf of a Swiss retailer.
I founded the Clothinginstitute.org - back in 2012 as a virtual platform for the clothing and textile professionals and experts with an aim to serve the clothing industry and community. We organised a textile research conference annually from 2014 to 2018 in Bangladesh through its network in textile academia and industry.
Academic service (administration and management)
1) Member, Faculty Research Ethics & Governance Committee, Arts & Humanities
2) Health & Safety Lead
I speak and write Bengali, English and German.
A) Fashion Cultures 3 (316Z0049) - BA Fashion Design & Technoloy Level 6
B) Fasion Collaboration (315Z0069) - BA Fashion Design & Technoloy Level 5
C) Fashion product (315Z0067) - BA Fashion Design & Technoloy Level 5
D) FBM Research Project (316Z0014_2021_9Z3)
E) Final Major Project (316Z9005)
A) Fashion Product Innovation (317V0013)
B) Materials Innovation (317V0005)
C) Taught Virtual Fashion Prototyping at the Unit "Build" of the MA Fashion Innovation programme in 2016/17, 2017/18.
Postgraduate research supervision
> Completed PHD supervision:
- Development of an Optimised Garment Sizing System with Bust Cup Size Integration (Tanya Dove, examined on July 2022).
> Ongoing PhD supervision (Three Man Met projects and one Leeds University PhD project):
- Biomimetic approach for the production of 3D woven sportswear, Yuyuan Shi, Leeds University, (submitted on January 2022),
- Development of standardized sizing system and basic block patterns for Ghanaian children aged 6-11, Adwoa Tweneboaah Twum (submission due 2023)
- Climate change mitigation Impact and workplace safety management of the Sri Lankan Apparel Industry, Chamara Harshana Senadeera (submission due 2024)
- Social Sustainability of Apparel Manufacturing, Ishrat Khan (submission due 2024/25)
External examiner roles
PhD Examiner for Cranfield University, Cranfield, Bedfordshire MK43 0AL (since 2020).
Projects and initiatives
“Canterbury Rugby – Body Scanning, Data Collection and Analysis”
"Gym Shark - Body Scanning and Fit Manikin"
Fashion Animation - RISE 2022 - https://mmutube.mmu.ac.uk/media/Fashion+Animation+-+RISE+2022/1_pgupi8ki
Consultancy and advisory roles
I am internationally involved in contributing towards curriculum development. I provided advisory input in developing curriculum for the unit “3D Virtual Fashion Prototyping” for the Bangladesh University of Textiles. I reviewed a curriculum of BSc. textile and environmental engineering of the same university last year. In 2022, I provided advisory input for developing the course of sustainable textiles at the Bartın University in Turkey.
Community, charity and NGO links
Trustee of the Textile Institute - https://www.textileinstitute.org/
Media appearances or involvement
1) Interviewed by the New York Times in August 2022, World-Class Lessons on Zero-Waste, https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/31/style/world-class-lessons-on-zero-waste.html
2) Spoke about the “I-A-E Framework for Sustainable Fashion & Textile Production” developed by my Global Challenge Research Fund (GCRF) project team in World Textile Information Network (WTiN) on 25 August 2021. See full article here: https://www.wtin.com/article/2021/august/230821/providing-sustainable-guidelines-for-the-textile-industry/
3) Interviewed by Ràdio País, France on International Mother Language Day (21 Feb 2010)
Prizes and awards
- PhD in Fashion Technology (University of Manchester)
- MSc in Textile & Clothing Engineering (Dresden University)
- BSc in Textile Technology (Dhaka University)
Prizes & Awards:
1. Winner - MMU Knowledge Exchange Award 2015-Hollings Faculty -Body Scanning Research for Canterbury Sportswear.
2. Winner - IMB Innovation Award 2009 in"Students & Young Professionals" category, awarded at “IMB – World of Textile Processing“, by Koelnmesse GmbH, Cologne, Germany.
3. Recipient - Commonwealth Scholarship 2008-2011, by Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) in the United Kingdom.
4. Recipient - DAAD (German Academic Exchange Programme) Scholarship, 2002 - 2004.
5. Finalist - AATCC (American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists) student’s research paper competition in 1999.
Membership of professional associations
- CTexFTI: Chartered member and Fellow of the Textile Institute (TI), UK
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, England.
- Member of the Institution of Textile Engineers and Technologists (ITET), Bangladesh.
- Previously member of the American Association of Textile Chemists & Colorists (AATCC), USA.
My research covers the areas of digital prototyping, sustainable materials and process innovation, and smart textiles. I am leading the following research projects:
1) Digital Fashion Innovation (https://fashioninstitute.mmu.ac.uk/research/digital-fashion-innovation/)
2) Digital & Smart Apparel (https://fashioninstitute.mmu.ac.uk/research/digital-smart-apparel/)
3) Sustainable Materials Innovation (https://fashioninstitute.mmu.ac.uk/research/materials-innovation/)
Recent publications from these projects include the topics - Zero-Waste Pattern Cutting (ZWPC), Objective Fit Analysis, 3D to 2D Surface Flattening, Smart Electro-Clothing Systems (SeCSs), 3D Printing, and Fibre-reinforced Sustainable Composites.
The “Canterbury Rugby – Body Scanning, Data Collection and Analysis” project, in which I played a key role, won the MMU Knowledge Exchange Awards in 2015.
In the past, I worked with the Plasma Technology Research Group at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zurich) in Switzerland to investigate the plasma-induced graft polymerisation of multi-functional chemicals on cotton. At TU-Dresden in Germany, I investigated into both virtual clothing technology and eco-friendly water-free dyeing of textiles. My research on clothing CAD won an innovation award in the “IMB – World of Textile Processing 2009”, organised by Koelnmesse GmbH, Cologne, Germany. My undergraduate research on the preparatory processes of industrial textile colouration reached the final three of the AATCC (American Association of Textile Chemists and Colourists) student paper competition in 1999.
1) Bangladesh Univeristy of Textiles and BGMEA Univeirsty of Fashion and Technology (BUFT) on 'fashion sustainability and UN SDGs'
2) ManMet Engineering department on 'wearable technology and fibre-reinforced composites'
2) Bangladesh Jute Research Institute (BJRI) on sustainable composite materials
3) University of Leeds on '3D anthropometry and CAD'
4) North Carolina State Universit (NCSU) Wilson College of Textiles on 'wearable technology and digital fashion'
1) Invited talk on "Fashion and Textiles vis-à-vis UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)" at the 4th International conference of sustainable textile (online) on 19th May 2021, organised by the Textile Engineering Department of the University of Engineering and Technology (UET) Lahore, Faisalabad Campus (https://conferences.uet.edu.pk/textile/icst/2021/)
2) Keynote talk "Digital Design Technology and Sustainable Fashion" at the International Conference on Sustainable Development in Technology for 4th Industrial Revolution http://www.icsdtir.pciuconference.net/ took place on 12 March 2021.
3) Invited talk "Fashion and Textile Research: A Multidisciplinary Area", MMU Technical Service Conference, 14 June 2019, Business School, MMU
1) Guest lecture on "Virtual Fashion" for the BA International Fashion Business students of the Nottingham Trent University (NTU) on 2nd November 2021.
1) Webinar on "Fashion and Textile Research: A Multidisciplinary Area" organised by the textile department of the Bangladesh University of Business and Technology (BUBT) on 12 April 2021 at 2pm BST
1) Digital Fashion Innovation (DFI) e-Symposium, 2020 (https://fashioninstitute.mmu.ac.uk/dfi2020/), 2021 (https://fashioninstitute.mmu.ac.uk/dfi2021/)
2) Chair, Sustainable Textile and Fashion Congress (STFC), 28 - 30 July 2021, https://www.ilettersicongress.co.uk/stfc
3) Co-chair of the organising committee of the Textile Research Conference TRC) [http://trc.clothinginstitute.org/] organised in Bangladesh and editor of the conference proceedings "TRC Book of Papers".
Expert reviewer for journals and publishers
# Reviewed several research articles upon request from the Editors of
- International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education (Taylor & Francis);
- Journal of Industrial Textiles (Sage Publication);
- Autex Research Journal (AUTEX, EU);
- Advances in Materials and Processing Technologies (Elsevier);
- Sensors, MDPI.
- Multimodal Technologies and Interaction (ISSN 2414-4088), MDPI
- International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology (Emerald)
- Materials (ISSN 1996-1944) , MDPI
- Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management (Emerald)
- Informatics (ISSN 2227-9709), MDPI
# Acted as an invited reviewer for the following conferences:
- The annual conference of the International Foundation of Fashion Technology Institute (IFFTI)
- The Industry 4.0 Academia Summit (Smart Sustainable Manufacturing)
# Review metrics: https://publons.com/researcher/1288199/abu-sadat-muhammad-sayem/metrics/
1) Principal Investigator, AHRC Digital Fashion Network 2023-24 (£43K)
2) Principal Investigator, GCRF QR 2020/21 (£26.4K): Research Capacity Building and Promoting Sustainable Fashion and Textile Practices in Bangladesh (Worktribe ID: 447793), Project website - https://sustainablefashion.mmu.ac.uk/,
3) Strategic partner, Circular Economy in Bangladesh’s Apparel Industry (CREATE), 2022-2027 (Worktribe ID: 933819)
4) Principal Investigator, RKE RAG Funding 2017/18 - Wearable Sensors in Smart Clothing for Health and Performance Monitoring (Worktribe ID: 113394)
5) Faculty grant for hosting Faculty Research Scholarship and Internship 2019, 2021
Muhammad Sayem, AS., 2023. 'Digital fashion innovations: advances in design, simulation, and industry', CRC Press, New York.
Sayeed, MMA., Sayem, ASM., Haider, J., Habib, MM., Malik, A., 2022. 'Re-use of Plastic Products–Materials Perspective'. In Encyclopedia of Materials: Plastics and Polymers, pp. 652-661, Elsevier, Netherlands.
Sayem, ASM., 2020. 'Virtual prototyping for fashion 4.0'. In Industry 4.0 – Shaping The Future of The Digital World, pp. 193-196, CRC Press.
Zerin, I., Farzana, N., Sayem, ASM., Anang, DM., Haider, J., 2020. 'Potentials of Natural Dyes for Textile Applications'. In Hashmi, S. (eds.) Encyclopedia of Renewable and Sustainable Materials, pp. 873-883, Elsevier.
Uddin, MA., Sayem, ASM., 2020. 'Natural Indigo for Textiles: Past, Present, and Future'. In Hashmi, S. (eds.) Encyclopedia of Renewable and Sustainable Materials, pp. 803-809, Elsevier, UK.
Sayem, ASM., Shahariar, H., Haider, J., 2020. 'An Overview on the Opportunities for 3D Printing With Biobased Materials'. In Hashmi, S., Buggy, M. (eds.) Encyclopedia of Renewable and Sustainable Materials, pp. 839-847, Elsevier, UK.
Sayeed, MMA., Sayem, ASM., Haider, J., 2020. 'Opportunities With Renewable Jute Fiber Composites to Reduce Eco-Impact of Nonrenewable Polymers'. In Encyclopedia of Renewable and Sustainable Materials, pp. 810-821, Elsevier.
Sayem, ASM., Haider, J., 2020. 'An Overview on the Development of Natural Renewable Materials for Textile Applications'. In Saleem, H., Choudhury, IA. (eds.) Encyclopedia of Renewable and Sustainable Materials, pp. 822-838, Elsevier, The Netherlands, UK, USA.
, 2023. .
Khan, MR., Dip, TM., Rashid, ME., Haque, RU., Neloy, FK., Salehin, SMM., Galib, S., Sayem, ASM., 2023. 'Comparative Analysis of Production Processes and Quality Parameters of Two Different Semi-Combed Yarns', Journal of Natural Fibers, 20 (1), pp. 2163333-2163333.
Shamsuzzaman, M., Islam, MM., Hasan, HMRU., Khan, AM., Sayem, ASM., 2023. 'Mapping environmental sustainability of knitted textile production facilities', Journal of Cleaner Production, pp. 136900-136900.
Rayhan, MGS., Khan, MKH., Shoily, MT., Rahman, H., Rahman, MR., Akon, MT., Hoque, M., Khan, MR., Rifat, TR., Tisha, FA., Sumon, IH., Fahim, AW., Uddin, MA., Sayem, ASM., 2022. 'Conductive textiles for signal sensing and technical applications', Signals, 4 (1), pp. 1-39.
Haque, ANMA., Sultana, N., Sayem, ASM., Smriti, SA., 2022. 'Sustainable Adsorbents from Plant-Derived Agricultural Wastes for Anionic Dye Removal: A Review', Sustainability, 14 (17), pp. 11098-11098.
Sayem, ASM., 2022. 'Digital fashion innovations for the real world and metaverse', International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, 15 (2), pp. 139-141.
Uddin, MA., Rahman, MM., Haque, ANMA., Smriti, SA., Datta, E., Farzana, N., Chowdhury, S., Haider, J., Muhammad Sayem, AS., 2022. 'Textile colouration with natural colourants: A review', Journal of Cleaner Production, 349, pp. 131489-131489.
, 2022. .
Ahsan, M., Teay, SH., Sayem, ASM., Albarbar, A., 2022. 'Smart Clothing Framework for Health Monitoring Applications', Signals, 3 (1), pp. 113-145.
Shi, Y., Taylor, LW., Cheung, V., Sayem, ASM., 2022. 'Biomimetic Approach for the Production of 3D Woven Spherical Composite Applied in Apparel Protection and Performance', Applied Composite Materials, 29 (1), pp. 159-171.
Sayem, ASM., Haider, J., Naveed, B., Sayeed, MMA., Sashikumar, S., 2022. 'Thermoplastic Composites reinforced with Multi-layer Woven Jute Fabric: A Comparative Analysis', Advances in Materials and Processing Technologies, 8 (1), pp. 355-379.
, 2022. Formatting Error
Fink, PL., Muhammad Sayem, AS., Teay, SH., Ahmad, F., Shahariar, H., Albarbar, A., 2021. 'Development and wearer trial of ECG-garment with textile-based dry electrodes', Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 328, pp. 112784-112784.
Ramkalaon, S., Sayem, ASM., 2021. 'Zero-Waste Pattern Cutting (ZWPC) to tackle over sixty billion square metres of fabric wastage during mass production of apparel', The Journal of The Textile Institute, 112 (5), pp. 809-819.
Shamsuzzaman, M., Kashem, MA., Muhammad Sayem, AS., Maroof Khan, A., Md Shamsuddin, S., Mazedul Islam, M., 2021. 'Quantifying Environmental Sustainability of Denim Garments Washing Factories Through Effluent Analysis: A Case Study in Bangladesh', Journal of Cleaner Production, 290, pp. 125740-125740.
Tyler, D., Wood, J., Sabir, T., McDonnell, C., Sayem, ASM., Whittaker, N., 2020. 'Wearable electronic textiles', Textile Progress, 51 (4), pp. 299-384.
Dip, TM., Emu, AS., Nafiz, MNH., Kundu, P., Rakhi, HR., Sayam, A., Akhtarujjman, M., Shoaib, M., Ahmed, MS., Ushno, ST., Asheque, AI., Hasnat, E., Uddin, MA., Sayem, ASM., 2020. '3D printing technology for textiles and fashion', Textile Progress, 52 (4), pp. 167-260.
Sayem, ASM., Haider, J., Sayeed, MMA., 2020. 'Development and characterisation of multi-layered jute fabric-reinforced HDPE composites', Journal of Composite Materials, 54 (14), pp. 1831-1845.
Muhammad Sayem, AS., Hon Teay, S., Shahariar, H., Luise Fink, P., Albarbar, A., 2020. 'Review on Smart Electro-Clothing Systems (SeCSs)', Sensors, 20 (3).
Sayem, ASM., 2017. 'Objective analysis of the drape behaviour of virtual shirt, part 2: technical parameters and findings', International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, 10 (2), pp. 180-189.
Sayem, ASM., 2017. 'Objective analysis of the drape behaviour of virtual shirt, part 1: avatar morphing and virtual stitching', International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, 10 (2), pp. 158-169.
Sayem, ASM., Kennon, R., Clarke, N., Hayes, SG., 2016. 'The effect of link-length and vertex angle on mesh generation and pattern flattening for virtual clothing', International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, 28 (4), pp. 503-515.
Sayem, ASM., Kennon, R., Clarke, N., 2014. '3D grading and pattern unwrapping technique for loose-fitting shirt part 1: Resizable design template', Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management, 8 (4).
Sayem, ASM., Kennon, R., Clarke, N., 2014. '3D grading and pattern unwrapping technique for loose-fitting shirt part 2: Functionality', Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management, 8 (4).
Sayem, ASM., Kennon, R., Clarke, N., 2012. 'Resizable trouser template for virtual design and pattern flattening', International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, 5 (1), pp. 55-65.
Sayem, ASM., Kennon, R., Clarke, N., 2010. '3D CAD systems for the clothing industry', International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, 3 (2), pp. 45-53.
Sayem, ASM., Rossbach, V., 2004. 'Progress in Supercritical Fluid Dyeing (SFD)', Taiwan Textile Research Journal, 14 (4), pp. 259-267.
Sayem, ASM., Rossbach, V., 2004. 'Supercritical fluid dyeing (SFD): A green technology', Textile Journal, 121 (5), pp. 22-25.
Sayem, ASM., 2019. 'Industry 4.0 – Shaping The Future of The Digital World', 2nd International Conference on Sustainable Smart Manufacturing (S2M 2019), Manchester, UK, 9/4/2019 - 11/4/2019, in Industry 4.0 - Shaping The Future of The Digital World - Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Sustainable Smart Manufacturing, S2M 2019, pp. 193-196.
Muhammad Sayem, A., 2019. 'Virtual Fashion ID: a reality check', IFFTI (International Foundation of Fashion Technology Institutes) 2019: Fashion ID, Manchester Fashion Institute, Manchester UK, 8/4/2019 - 12/4/2019, in Fashion: ID, pp. 230-239.
SCOTT, E., SAYEM, ASM., 2018. 'Landmarking and Measuring for Critical Body Shape Analysis Targeting Garment Fit', 3DBODY.TECH 2018 - 9th International Conference and Exhibition on 3D Body Scanning and Processing Technologies, Lugano, Switzerland, 16-17 Oct. 2018, Lugano, Switzerland, 16/10/2018 - 17/10/2018, in Proceedings of 3DBODY.TECH 2018 - 9th International Conference and Exhibition on 3D Body Scanning and Processing Technologies, Lugano, Switzerland, 16-17 Oct. 2018, pp. 222-235.
Muhammad Sayem, AS., Haider, J., Sayeed, MMA., 2018. 'Engineered Material from Natural Fibre for Interior Design Applications', The 91st Textile Institute World Conference: Integrating Design with Sustainable Technology, University of Leeds, UK, 23/7/2018 - 26/6/2018.
Muhammad Sayem, AS., Sebastian, J., 2018. 'Avatar Morphing for Virtual Fashion Prototyping', Transitions 2: Material Revolution Conference, University of Huddersfield, UK, 11/4/2018 - 12/4/2018.
Muhammad Sayem, AS., Bednall, A., 2017. 'A Novel Approach to Fit Analysis of Virtual Fashion Clothing', 19th edition of the International Foundation of Fashion Technology Institutes conference (iffti 2017), IFFTI 2017, The Amsterdam Fashion Institute (AMFI), Amsterdam, 29/3/2017 - 30/3/2017, in Proceedings of the IFFTI Conference 2017: Breaking The Fashion Rules.
Muhammad Sayem, AS., 2016. 'A Reverse Approach to Virtual Shirt Prototyping and Pattern Cutting', The 90th Textile Institute World Conference, Poznan, Poland, 25/4/2016 - 28/4/2016, in PROCEEDINGS OF THE 90th TEXTILE INSTITUTE WORLD CONFERENCE, pp. 523-533.
Muhammad Sayem, AS., 2015. 'Advances in Virtual Prototyping: Opportunities for Clothing Manufacturers', 2nd Textile Research Conference (TRC), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 26/12/2015 - 26/12/2015, in TRC Book of Papers 2015, 1, pp. 15-18.
Muhammad Sayem, AS., 1999. 'Desizing with H2O2 and NaOH to develop a continuous desizing-scouring-bleaching process', American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists 1999 International Conference and Exhibition, Charlotte, N.C., USA, 12/10/1999 - 15/10/1999, in AATCC Book of Papers 1999 International Conference and Exhibition, pp. 35-42.
Theses and Dissertations
Muhammad Sayem, AS., 2012. 'RESIZABLE OUTERWEAR TEMPLATES FOR VIRTUAL DESIGN AND PATTERN FLATTENING'.