Senior Lecturer in Fashion Communication and Culture
Originally from the States, I worked in printing and publishing in NYC before settling in Manchester, though sadly arriving within weeks of the Hacienda club shutting its doors! I trained as a graphic designer for print and screen, obtained a qualification in Marketing from the Chartered Institute of Marketing and am a consultant to fashion start ups. I continue to lecture in critical theory, brand development, and graphic communication practice within fashion communication and across multi-disciplinary areas in the School of Art.
My practice-based doctorate, The Artist’s Book: Making as embodied knowledge of practice and the self, considered the role of creativity and the pedagogy of making in the development of identity via working through personal and cultural memory with visual practice. My handbound artist's books have been exhibited in the UK, Ireland, Germany, and the United States. I have been recognised by the Higher Education Academy (HEA) for my leadership in teaching and learning by earning the recognition as a Senior Fellow of the HEA (SFHEA).
Academic and professional qualifications
- PhD: The Artist's Book: Making as emodied knowlege of creativity and the self (2017), University of Chester (pass with no corrections)
- MA Visual Culture (2008), MIRIAD, Manchester Metropolitan University (Distinction)
- Postgraduate Certificate of Eduation (2004) Higher, Further & Adult Education
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design (2003) Manchester Metropolitan University (First Class Honours)
- Awarded Senior Fellow recognition from the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA, 2015)
- Awarded Associate Professional status from the Chartered Institute of Marketing (APCIM, 2018)
2018-2019 Senior Lecturer, Academic Professional Development, University Teaching Academy, MMU
2017-2018 Staffordshire University, Head of Department of Art & Design
2009-2017 University of Chester, Senior Lecturer in Fashion Marketing and Communication, Graphic Design, MA Design, MA Fine Art and Senior University Teaching Fellow
Academic service (administration and management)
2013-2016 Senior University Teaching Fellow for the Faculty of Arts & Media, University of Chester
BA(Hons) Fashion Promotion
BA(Hons) Fashion Art Direction
Manchester School of Art interdisciplinary collaborative visual practice units of study
- MA Design
- MA Fine Art
- MA Education
Postgraduate research supervision
I support research students in their postgraduate enquiry, particularly the interdisciplinary spaces and intersectionality of practice as research and practice-led study.
- Practice-based PhD candidate
- Practice-based MRes candidate
External examiner roles
MA Creative Direction (Fashion), Southampton Solent University
Projects and initiatives
Forthcoming Bloomsbury publication:
Kealy-Morris, E., Slater, A., Atkin, S. (Eds.) (2021) Memories of Dress: Recollections of Material Identities, London, UK: Bloomsbury Press.
Please visit my portfolio website for further information on the exhbitions below:
December 2016 – Foyer Gallery, University of Chester, Chester, UK
The Artist’s Book: Making as embodied knowledge of practice & the self
June-July 2010 -- People’s History Museum, Manchester UK
Chorlton-on-Medlock: remembering a destroyed Manchester community
July 2016 – Galway, Ireland
Clarke, S. and Kealy-Morris, E. (2016). a strange field. Handbound artist book. Impressions Art Book Exhibition, Galway International Arts Festival. 11-24 July.
July 2016 – Euskirchen, Germany
Dilworth, A. and Kealy-Morris, E. (2016). Sailm. Handbound artist book. Förderkreis Contemporary Art Gallery, Euskirchen, Germany. 8 July – 21 August.
- October 2012 University of Chester Department of Art & Design Exhibition, Contemporary Art Space Chester Gallery, Chester, UK
- June 2010 University of Chester Department of Art & Design Exhibition, CUBE, Manchester, UK
- October 2008 MA Graduate Show, Holden Gallery, MMU, Manchester UK
- June-July 2008 Testing Time, MIRIAD, Chatham Gym, MMU, Manchester, UK
- June-July 2006 Testing Time, MIRIAD, Holden Gallery, MMU, Manchester UK
- July–October 2006 0161 Manchester, Urbis, Manchester, UK
Consultancy and advisory roles
The Manchester Fashion Network
Fashion Careers Fair: Panel Presentation: Social Media: Making your presence count, Manchester, United Kingdom
Recognition as a Senior Fellow from the Higher Education Academy for my leadership in Teaching and Learning (2015).
Membership of professional associations
Affiliate Professional membership with the Chartered Institute of Marketing (APCIM)
Professional membership of the Business of Fashion
Please visit my portfo website for access to all still and moving image of my creative practice:
- Practice as research / research as practice (the handbound artist book)
- visual communication
- visual methodologies and methods
- performative autoethnography
- visual ethnography
- visual culture
- cultural memory
- cultural memory and dress
- 'The American Look' -- the historic and contemporary expression of "Americanness" through dress
- Dress and belonging
- Dress and exclsuion
- Dress and health
Forthcoming Bloomsbury Arts text co-edited with Dr Alison Slater (School of Art) and Dr Susan Atkin (Manchester Fashion Institute) Memories of Dress: recollections of material identities to be published in 2021.
- January: Who is the Sick One Here?: Mask refusal and ambivalent social identity in America
- October: Impact of International Virtual Mobility and Collaboration on Fashion Students' Practice.
- Collage: visually connecting the disconnected
- From the PDF to Instagram TV: Broadening your fashion campaign's reach
- Handbound bookmaking: Introduction to Folded Book Structures
January 2021: Face Off: The provocation and possibilities of the face mask and head scarf (international online symposium, Co-organiser)
Expert reviewer for journals and publishers
Reviewer: International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education
Kealy-Morris, E., 2016. The Artist’s Book: Making as embodied knowledge of practice & the self, Foyer Gallery, University of Chester, 8/12/2016 - 16/12/2016.
Kealy-Morris, E., Clarke, S., 2016. Impressions Art Book Exhibition, Galway International Arts Festival, Galway International Arts Festival, 11/7/2016 - 24/7/2016.
Kealy-Morris, E., Dilworth, A., 2016. Gorderkreis Contemporary Art Gallery, Gorderkreis Contemporary Art Gallery, Euskirchen, Germany, 8/7/2016 - 21/8/2016.
Kealy-Morris, E., Clarke, S., Bodman, S., 2017. 'Artist’s Book Yearbook 2018-19', University of the West of England.
Kealy-Morris, E., 2016. 'A Walk of Twenty Steps', http://www.ekealymorris.com/a-walk-of-twenty-steps.html.
Kealy-Morris, E., Dilworth, A., 2016. 'Sailm', Förderkreis Contemporary Art Gallery, Euskirchen, Germany.
Kealy-Morris, E., Clarke, S., 2016. 'a strange field', United Kingdom.
Kealy-Morris, E., 2012. 'Leaving (a work in progress)', Contemporary Art Space Chester Gallery, Chester, UK.
Kealy-Morris, E., 2015. 'The bookbinding workshop: Making as collaborative pedagogic practice', Art, Design & Communication in Higher Education, 14 (2), pp. 119-129.
Kealy-Morris, E., 2013. 'The artist book: Making as visual method', Journal of Writing in Creative Practice, 6 (2), pp. 247-275.
Kealy-Morris, E., 2018. 'Social media: making your presence count', The Fashion Network Conference, Manchester, 30/5/2018 - 30/5/2018.
Kealy-Morris, E., 2017. 'The Shift Dress as Cultural Signifier', Culture Costume and Dress International Conference, Birmingham City University, 10/5/2017 - 12/5/2017, in https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=RyRLDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA124&dq=Culture,+Costume+and+Dress&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLkOe9-pnZAhUqLsAKHTgZAUkQ6AEIJzAA#v=onepage&q&f=false, 1 (1), pp. 122-131.
Kealy-Morris, E., 2016. 'A Walk of Twenty Steps: The return of the girl with the crooked spine from an upstanding town', College Book Arts Association National Conference, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA, 6/1/2016 - 9/1/2016.
Kealy-Morris, E., 2015. 'The Persistence of Memory', The International Journal of Art & Design Annual Conference, Glasgow School of Art, 6/11/2015 - 7/11/2015.
Kealy-Morris, E., 2015. 'The Bookbinding Workshop: Making as collaborative pedagogic practice', Group for Learning in Art & Design Annual Conference, Sheffield-Hallam University, 26/2/2015 - 27/2/2015.
Theses and Dissertations
Kealy-Morris, E., 2017. 'The Artist's Book: Making as embodied knowledge of practice and the self'.
Manchester Fashion Institute
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester M15 6BG
Two hours a week during term time