Senior Lecturer (Textile Technology)
Academic and professional qualifications
I am a Textile Technologist and a chartered Fellow of the Textile Institute (CText FTI), who has specific interest inTechnical Textiles with focus on design and development of functional and performance apparel. In addition, I am also keen on the development of smart textiles to monitor and promote health and well-being.
My working experience in the industry for four years involved the development of technical textiles using non-woven fabrics (breathable viral barrier surgical gowns, nano-silver wound dressing, cleansing and anti-bacterial wipes, splash-resistant protective apparel and activated charcoal masks) including textile testing, product development and garment manufacturing.
I am currently researching in the field of impact resistant materials for absorbing medium impact for sportswear using ‘impact attenuation kit‘ developed at MMU to determine the energy absorption characteristics of materials and duration of impact and Tekscan pressure sensors to monitor the dispersion of impact.
My other area of focus is in the evaluation of compression base layer garments for sportswear using Tekscan pressure sensors. Using fabric characteristics from FAST (Fabric Assurance by Simple Testing) a 3-D simulation model was established with the aid of V-stitcher, which predicts the pressure applied by the compression garment.
I am also passionate about developing sustainable and environmentally friendly methods for denim finishing where my investigation focuses in the impact of the durable water repellent finishes for denim wear on environment. I have also explored the potential of using laser treatment for finishing denim fabrics and investigating its performance.
I am also working on an inter-disciplinary project with colleagues from Division of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, MMU on the development of smart bio-sensors for monitoring blood lactate using compression garments for sportswear. The outcomes from this project enables in the designing of smart wearable garments for competitive sports and training purposes that helps to measure the key physiological parameters determining performance.
I maintain research collaboration both at the national and international level.I possess keen interest in the area of quality control and textile testing in apparel production, evaluation of high performance textiles, new product development in the area of outdoor sports apparel and technical textiles for functional clothing. I have five years experience in the area of medical textiles where he was involved in evaluating the effectiveness of compression bandages for venous leg ulcers. I have good experience of working on physical testing of fibres, yarns, fabrics and composites used in design and development of textile products.
I am involved in teaching textile subjects for a number of units for UG and PG students. In addition, supervises research students for their MPhil, PhD, and MSc by research projects at MMU. I have successfully supervised two PhD students (as Director of Studies) and three Master’s by Research student (supervisor). I currently supervise five PhD students.
Key industry and research skills:
- Able to provide comprehensive report of fibre identification and their physical properties
- Assessment of woven, knitted and nonwoven fabrics for their characteristics and performance
- Measurement of comfort characteristics of fabrics using Alambeta, Permetest and Moisture Management Tester (MMT)
- Assessment of garment durability and ageing resistance of textiles
- Stretch, recovery and growth assessment of knitted fabrics used for sportswear development
- Able to offer complete finger print of fabrics for garment sewability using FAST (Fabric Assurance by Simple Testing)
- Tactile sensation analysis using subjective measures and user perception of garments
- Wearer trial assessment of garments intended for sportswear
- Physiological measurements such as maximum oxygen uptake, lactic acid and pressure profile characteristics for evaluation of compression garments for their performance
- Possess knowledge of various test standards including British Standards, AATCC, and ASTM test methods
- Possess experience of providing consulting services for development of textile products and garments.
Research Project - BA (Hons) All Routes
Product Awareness - BA (Hons) Fashion Buying and Merchandising
Product Development - Degree apprenticeship programme
Postgraduate research supervision
MSc - by Research
- Auxetic materials for sportswear (completed)
- Evaluation of base layer compression garments for sportswear (completed)
- Fashion upcycling in the UK women's wear indsutry (completed)
MSc - Taught programme
- Effect of water repellent finishes for denim and its performance
MPhil / PhD research
- Application of auxetic material for impact response sports apparel (current PhD project)
- Finite element modelling of auxetic materials for sports applications (current PhD project)
- Development of smart textiles to neutralise non-ionising radiation for the electro-sensitive population (current PhD project)
- Design and development of compression garments for athletic wear (ongoing PhD project)
- Design and development of innovative sportswear for football players (current PhD project)
- Development of conceptual framework with a smart databse for fabric sewability (completed)
- Use of trend forecasting in contemporary marketing and fashion retail industry (completed)
External examiner roles
PhD external examiner overseas (Avinashlingam University, Coimbatore, India)
Projects and initiatives
- Evaluation and simulation of compression base layer garments for sportswear using body scanning technology and pressure sensors
- Design and development of impact resistant materials for rugby tops
- Durable water repellent finishes and its impact on environment
- Smart bio-sensors for monitoring health using compression garments
- The outcomes from the projects are disseminated regularly via conferences, research forum, monographs, and journals. Efforts have been made to collaborate with the industry and academic professionals with a multi-disciplinary team that promotes development of novel products and enhances quality of life.
Prizes and awards
- PhD in Medical Textiles (2005)
- MSc in Technical Textiles (2001)
- B.Tech in Textile Technology (1999)
- CText FTI (2017)
- PGC in Academic Practice (2012)
Expert reviewer for external funding bodies
Project bid reviewer – served as an internal reviewer (MMU) for Technology Strategy Board (TSB) project proposal
Membership of professional associations
- Chartered Fellow of the Textile Institute, Manchester, UK – CText FTI.
- Senior Member of AATCC (American Association of Textile Colorists and Chemists) – an association of textile, apparel, and material professionals.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
- Member of Denim Club India.
- Design and development of ankle support for the elderly
- Designing protective garments for sportswear and personnel protection by investigating material properties using impact attenuation test and sensitive pressure sensors.
- An investigation on the performance of compression garments using pressure profile measurements.
- Development of smart bio-sensors in monitoring health using compression garments.
- Investigation of scope of auextic materials for sportswear applications
- Development of plasma treatment for water repellent finishes
- Dry finishing of denim garments using laser as an environmentally friendly method.
Expert reviewer for journals and publishers
Served as peer reviewer for the following publications.
- Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management·
- Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research
- Book review for Bloomsbury Publications and CRC Taylor and Francis
Hayes, SG., Venkatraman, PD., 2015. 'Materials and Technology for Sportswear and Performance Apparel', CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group.
Venkatraman, P., Tyler, D., Chen, Z., 2014. 'Evaluation of Pressure Measurement Systems for Compression Garments', LAP Lambert Academic Publishing.
Venkatraman, PD., 2010. 'A study on the outcomes and effectiveness of venous leg ulcer treatment', VDM Verlag, Saarbrucken, Germany.
Brubacher, K., Apeagyei, P., Venkatraman, P., Tyler, D., Brownridge, A., 2018. 'Predicting Pressures Applied by Sports Compression Garments Using Virtual Fit Technology'. In Espinosa, HG., Rowlands, DR., Shepherd, J., Thiel, DV. (eds.) Proceedings, Volume 2, ISEA 2018 The 12th Conference of the International Sports Engineering Association, MDPI.
Venkatraman, PD., 2015. 'Evaluating the Performance of Fabrics for Sportswear'. In Materials and Technology for Sportswear and Performance Apparel, CRC Press.
Venkatraman, PD., 2015. 'Materials and Technology for Sportswear and Performance Apparel'. In Materials and Technology for Sportswear and Performance Apparel, CRC Press.
Venkatraman, PD., 2015. 'Fibres for Sportswear'. In Materials and Technology for Sportswear and Performance Apparel, CRC Press.
Venkatraman, PD., Tyler, D., 2015. 'Impact Resistant Materials and their Potential'. In Materials and Technology for Sportswear and Performance Apparel, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis group.
Venkatraman, P., Tyler, D., 2015. 'Applications of Compression Sportswear'. In Materials and Technology for Sportswear and Performance Apparel, pp. 171-204, CRC Press.
Praburaj, DV., Anand, SC., Dean, C., Nettleton, R., 2006. 'CONDUCTING CLINICAL TRIALS IN WOUNDCARE'. In Medical Textiles and Biomaterials for Healthcare, pp. 310-319, Elsevier.
Venkatraman, PD., Anand, SC., Dean, C., Nettleton, R., 2005. 'A method to evaluate the effectiveness of woundcare for venous leg ulcer treatment'. In Medical Textiles and Biomaterials for Healthcare, Elsevier.
Venkatraman, PD., Anand, SC., Dean, C., Nettleton, R., 2004. 'Health related quality of life tools for venous ulcerated patients'. In Trends in Woundcare, Quay Books, MA Healthcare Ltd.
Butler, JA., Slate, AJ., Todd, DB., Airton, D., Hardman, M., Hickey, NA., Scott, K., Venkatraman, PD., 2020. 'A traditional Ugandan Ficus natalensis bark cloth exhibits antimicrobial activity against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.', J Appl Microbiol, 9.
Shepherd, T., Winwood, K., Venkatraman, P., Alderson, A., Allen, T., 2020. 'Validation of a Finite Element Modeling Process for Auxetic Structures under Impact', physica status solidi (b), 257 (10), pp. 1900197-1900197.
Imam, S., Driscoll, H., Winwood, K., Venkatraman, P., Allen, T., 2020. 'Efficacy of Density in Predicting the Protective Properties of Padded Clothing in Rugby', Proceedings, 49 (1), pp. 38-38.
McManus, C., Venkatraman, PD., Sandercock, G., 2020. 'The measurement of interface pressure applied by sports compression garments: A comparative study of two portable devices', Measurement, 156, pp. 107592-107592.
Venkatraman, PD., Scott, K., Liauw, C., 2019. 'Environmentally friendly and sustainable bark cloth for garment applications: Evaluation of fabric properties and apparel development', Sustainable Materials and Technologies, 23, pp. e00136-e00136.
Venkatraman, PD., Liauw, CM., 2019. 'Use of a carbon dioxide laser for environmentally beneficial generation of distressed/faded effects on indigo dyed denim fabric: Evaluation of colour change, fibre morphology, degradation and textile properties', OPTICS AND LASER TECHNOLOGY, 111, pp. 701-713.
Duncan, O., Shepherd, T., Moroney, C., Foster, L., Venkatraman, P., Winwood, K., Allen, T., Alderson, A., 2018. 'Review of Auxetic Materials for Sports Applications: Expanding Options in Comfort and Protection', Applied Sciences, 8 (6), pp. 941-941.
Han, SLC., Chan, PYL., Venkatraman, P., Apeagyei, P., Cassidy, T., Tyler, DJ., 2017. 'Standard vs. Upcycled Fashion Design and Production', Fashion Practice, 9 (1), pp. 69-94.
Venkatraman, PD., Anand, SC., Dean, C., Nettleton, R., El Sawi, A., Afify, S., 2005. 'Pilot study investigating the feasibility of an ulcer-specific quality of life questionnaire', Phlebology, 20 (1), pp. 14-27.
Anand, SC., Dean, C., Nettleton, R., Praburaj, DV., 2003. 'Health-related quality of life tools for venous-ulcerated patients', British Journal of Nursing, 12 (1), pp. 48-59.
Venkatraman, P., Anand, S., Dean, C., Nettleton, R., 2002. 'Clinical trials in wound care. II: Achieving statistical significance.', J Wound Care, 11 (4), pp. 156-160.
Venkatraman, P., Anand, S., Dean, C., Nettleton, R., 2002. 'Clinical trials in wound care I: the advantages and limitations of different clinical trial designs.', J Wound Care, 11 (3), pp. 91-94.
Venkatraman, P., Scott, K., 2018. 'Investigation of bark cloth for its surface texture and durability for apparel applications', The 91st Textile Institute World Conference, Leeds, UK, 23/7/2018 - 26/7/2018, in Proceedings of The 91st Textile Institute World Conference (TIWC 2018).
Linda, R., Venkatraman, PD., Apeagyei, P., Velusamy, V., 2018. 'Investigation of natural levels of copper in fungi as protection in wearable textiles for electrically sensitive individuals', Textiles and Place 2018, Manchester, UK, 12/4/2018 - 13/4/2018, in www.textileandplace.co.uk.
Moroney, C., Alderson, A., Allen, T., Sanami, M., Venkatraman, P., 2018. 'The Application of Auxetic Material for Protective Sports Apparel', 12th Conference of the International Sports Engineering Association, Queensland, Australia, 26/3/2018 - 29/3/2018, in Proceedings, 2 (6), pp. 251-251.
Brubacher, K., Apeagyei, P., Venkatraman, P., Tyler, D., 2017. 'Design of Sports Compression Garments: Exploring the Relationship Between Pressure Distribution and Body Dimensions', 8th Asia-Pacific Congress on Sports Technology, Tel Aviv, Israel, 15/10/2017 - 19/10/2017, in http://apcstcon.com/.
Shepherd,, T., Driscoll, H., Winwood, K., Venkatraman, Alderson, A., Allen, T., 2017. 'Review of Modelling and Additive Manufacturing of Auxetic Materials for Application in Sport, 8th Asia-Pacific Congress on Sports Technology', 8th Asia-Pacific Congress on Sports Technology (APCST 2017), Tel Aviv, Israel, 15/10/2017 - 19/10/2017.
Venkatraman, PD., Velusamy, V., Kharel, R., Collins, S., 2016. 'Smart wearable biosensor for non-invasive real time detection of sweat lactate using compression garments.', 90th Textile Institute World Conference, Poznan, Poland, 26/4/2016 - 28/4/2016.
Venkatraman, PD., 2014. 'Compression garments in sportswear: case studies to explore the effect of body type, tactile sensation and seam position in garments', Indo-Czech International conference on advancements in speciality textiles and their applications in Material Engineering and Medical Sciences, Coimbatore, India, 29/4/2014 - 30/4/2014, in ISBN 978-81-323752-5-0, pp. 250-254.
Venkatraman, PD., Tyler, D., Fergusson-Lee, L., Bourke, A., 2013. 'Performance of Compression Garments for Cyclists', at The Textile Institute’s International Conference on Advances in Functional Textiles, Manchester, U.K., 25/7/2013 - 26/7/2013, in ISBN: 978-0-9566419-4-6.
Tyler, DJ., Venkatraman, PD., 2012. 'Impact resistant materials and Design Principles for Sportswear', The 88th Textile Institute world conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 16/5/2012 - 17/5/2012, in Proceedings of the 88th Textile Institute World Conference.
Prendergast, J., Venkatraman, PD., 2012. 'A study on the development of sustainable organic clothing for women’s wear using natural fibres with specific focus on product serviceability', 14th Annual conference of the International Fashion Foundation Institute, (IFFTI), Pearl Academy of Fashion, Jaipur, India, 17/3/2012 - 21/3/2012, in 14th Annual Conference of the International Fashion Foundation Institute, (IFFTI).
Venkatraman, P., Tyler, DJ., 2011. 'A critical review of impact resistant materials used in sportswear clothing', 7th International conference in Advances in Textiles, Machinery, Nonwovens and Technical Textiles, Coimbatore, India, 15/12/2011 - 17/12/2011, in 7th International conference in Advances in Textiles, Machinery, Nonwovens and Technical Textiles, 11.
Venkatraman, PD., 2007. 'Evaluation of technical textiles for healthcare applications', 4th Indo-US Collaborative International Conference - "Advances in textiles, machinery, nonwoven and technical textiles" ATNT2007, Kumaraguru College of Technology, Coimbatore, India, 18/6/2007 - 20/6/2007.
Venkatraman, P., 2019. 'Sustainable Textiles and materials for fashion industry', Vincent Building, Lecture Theatre, Cranfield University.
Manchester Fashion Institute
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester M15 6BG
Monday 9.00 - 5.00 pm; Wed 9.00 - 4.30 pm; Thu 9.00 - 6.00 pm