Principal Lecturer (Fashion Business)
Academic and professional qualifications
I have taught at all levels from further education, higher education and post graduate. Subjects span fashion trading from the retailer and supplier perspective, including quality, enterprise, people management, communication, marketing and range building. Currently manage three programme teams across all fashion business programmes in Manchester Met.
I am a member of an international industry in education panel, and work with international universities in the field of Fashion Business Education. I promote the Fashion Institute at Manchester Met through regional, national and international media.
I worked within the clothing industry for 20 years and had a key role within an international fashion trading company as a manager of a large technical and QC team across retail, e-commerce and mail order businesses. I have travelled extensively throughout the world appraising existing and potential suppliers. Other responsibilities involved analysis and improvement of the trading process and supplier approval/appraisal.
Projects and initiatives
- At MMU I have produced and delivered change management programmes to industry and provided consultancy services to international retailers relating to planning, sourcing, distribution and stock management.
- Industry project work included setting up a company in Japan that involved a warehouse and inspection department, recruitment and training of staff and manager of a global product sourcing team for the Japanese market; working on joint ventures with other high street retailers; business mergers; IT design from the business perspective. I also headed a team of IT, buying, merchandising and QA staff in a two year major retail integration project involving everything from staff recruitment and development; to the trading process and supplier relations, in order to achieve a £50m annual costs saving.
Piece entitled 'Trans generational' included at Fashion Trans Identity Exhibition - Bunka Japan May 2018
Consultancy and advisory roles
- Invited as guest lecturer in Toronto, Buffalo, Beijing and Texas.
- External examiner LCF and De Montfort. Programme review panels in UK and Europe
- I have previously acted as an adviser/consultant to the industry leader in IT communication systems to support clothing manufacturers and retailers. I designed a supplier appraise system for large companies that is now used by other retailers and construction companies.
- I presented as an invited speaker at an international industry conference in Dallas.
- I represented companies in negotiations for business takeovers and mergers, as well as negotiating with unions on staff reductions, re-deployment and re-training
- I also worked for the European branch of a USA based apparel consultancy company and then as an independent consultant to the industry, advising on importing, staff structures, customer service and process analysis.
Media appearances or involvement
I am regularly invited as a guest of the BBC to comment on fashion related stories for BBC Breakfast TV, BBC World News TV, BBC world service, Newsnight, Radio 5 Live, Radio 4 and BBC Regional radio around the UK.
Additionally - Daily Mail, LBC, Talk Radio
Prizes and awards
- PG Cert HE
- CFI 1 & 2
WINNER of the “Outstanding Teaching for Employability” in the University presented by MMU Student Union. Shortlisted for “Best Overall Teacher” in the University for the same year.
Membership of professional associations
Change management within the clothing industry both UK and overseas; process analysis and alignment for fashion trading; product sourcing and supplier appraisal; student recruitment related to promotion within the media, schools and colleges; the changing relationship between suppliers and retailers; UK manufacturing within the clothing industry.
Malone, M., 2019. 'Initiatives to bring together emerging design talent with manufacturing and retail opportunities in Portugal', FTC, Delhi, 9/2/2019 - 12/2/2018.
Malone, M., 2018. 'An investigation into initiatives to bring together emerging design talent with manufacturing and retail opportunities', IFFTI, Shanghai, 9/4/2018 - 13/4/2018.
Malone, M., 2017. 'The role of people and culture in the growth of clothing manufacturing in northern Portugal', International Conference on Social Responsibility, Ethics and Sustainable Business, Berlin, 28/9/2017 - 29/9/2017.
Malone, M., 2014. 'The changing relationship of the UK buying office and the supplier', 11th International Circle COnference, University of Manchester, 23/4/2014 - 26/4/2014.
Manchester Fashion Institute
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester M15 6BG